So it is no secret that our spare bathroom was going to be a work in progress. When we moved in it was blue and periwinkle STRIPES. What's even crazier is that it was painted, not wallpaper. So someone took some SERIOUS time to make it look the way it did. Which only made me feel the tiniest bit better about the five coats of paint it took to cover them up.
The bathroom is finally close to being done, after all that paint, a new shower head, curtain rod, faucet, and light fixture, and the cabinets painted. Realistically, all that is left is figuring out how to get rid of the seashell sink. Crowbar anyone? :)
These next few weeks though, while we try and recover from what seems to be a several month long run of bad luck in the finance department, we are going for projects that satiate my inability to sit still, but run on the pretty darn cheap side.
Enter the shelves.
Prior to these we had a cabinet that was in our old apartment. We had needed the extra storage space there so it's what worked. It was one of those cabinets with the doors above the toilet, that has the legs that go to the ground because it's usually heavy. Well when we moved, the legs didn't exactly make it. So for the last year we have had this giant cabinet with broke off legs screwed into our wall. But no more!
I started out measuring our cabinet. It was the right dimensions, just way to bulky for a still small (but definitely an upgrade) bathroom. I have two boards that are 20 inches long and 8 inches deep, one that is four inches in height and 20 inches long, and two that are four inches in height and eight inches long.
I used this drill bit to premark where my screws would be. This way I could fill in the holes with wood putty and have the board flush.
I then joined the boards together, creating a box that was open only from the back. This way it gives the illusion that it is one solid piece on all sides. I've bought two inch thick pieces of wood for shelves in my kitchen before, and while there are wonderful, they were also expensive, and still not the desired thickness I wanted for these. And 4 inch thick wood would be crazy heavy to try and hang.
So now that I got my shelves built, I filled in any cracks and the screw holes with the wood putty. I tried to make everything as flush as possible, because even though you know it is not one solid piece of wood creating the shelf, you still want everything to look like it was seamless.
After staining the boards, and letting them dry, next was the mounting. I decided to go with shorter L brackets (mine were 2.5 inches) but I would suggest going a 1/2 inch shorter. I have a 12 inch board screwed onto these brackets for the shelves to rest on, however I had to screw the board under the L brackets rather than on top because the box inside my shelves would have been too small.
You'll notice the L brackets are not completely centered. I wanted to make sure I had at least one L bracket into a stud. This worked out fine though, since the shelves are not screwed directly into the L brackets, you can adjust the shelves a few inches to make sure they are centered and match one another.
And there you have it! Truly not too hard, and I did them both for just under $40! Just make sure you mount the bottom shelf high enough someone doesn't hit their head on it!